Following are the ten most critical tasks that any data center relocation must address. Look for a provider who can guarantee all ten of these tasks are meticulously and thoroughly addressed. Otherwise, you are taking a big risk with your most valuable and expensive IT investment.
- Take inventory of every component that will be relocated or consolidated.
- Address data security and data protection to ensure the business remains un-compromised.
- Perform detailed planning to maximize the efficiency and budget of the relocation.
- Assess budget to adequately address construction, renovation, site closure, equipment, and staff.
- Communicate precisely in RFPs, SOWs and contracts — Vague RFPs create poor SOWs. Partner with a data center relocation specialist right from the start to ensure you have detailed, relevant documentation.
- Partner with data center relocation specialists according to your continuum of needs.
- Plan the move, move on plan to prepare and engage all components — including staff.
- Prepare the new facility, and close the old one to ensure that all data center services are ready, tested and approved.
- Back up your data and have a disaster recovery plan and data protection strategy — just in case.
- Migrate — the moment when careful planning and competent project management result in a flawless move to a new data center hosting site.
For more information about all that is involved in a data center relocation, what to expect, and how to make it a success, read our white paper: Keys to a Successful Data Center Relocation.